Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ode to the St. Clair Family Name


"So you are just not finding the name in your system?
Well did you try period with no space?
How about period with space?
No period and no space?
How about all run together?"

St. Clair...
Two words
And in them,
Everything I know to be true.
Including it’s a bastard to find in computer systems.

Here is what St. Clair means to me:
It’s blue eyes
And dark eyebrows
It’s curly hair and big lips
Basically, we are monkeys.
And very proud of that fact
It’s skin problems
And bad backs
And not so fun allergies.

But it’s also a cool last name to be used as a first name
“St. Clair, wake up and pass the ball.”
It’s having a French last name
“Saint Clair, are you French?”
And feeling awkward about not
Being able to say
Well 
Anything more about that.

It’s a passion for people
And appreciating the simple things
Like summers at the Cape
And board games and laughter
And each other

It’s my anchor when storms set in
And my lifeline when I am sinking.
Or need a lift
It’s the sun that keeps me moving along a
– somewhat – predictable orbit
It’s where I turn to remember who I am
And what is most important.

"What's in a name? That which we call a St. Clair
By any other name would smell as sweet?"
I think so
St. Clair is me
My childhood
What shaped me
And it will always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment